Social media may seem like an entertainment medium for most of the world, but for your business it can be an invaluable tool to gain customers and increase revenue. One of the most popular social media platforms, Instagram, has become a staple to the media marketer’s tool belt. Read on to see what to do and what not to do on Instagram.
When posting on Instagram you should DO:
- Consistent posts, which means daily or at least 3-5 times per week
- Instagram stories for quick announcements; be sure to keep them light and show a different more fun side of your brand.
- DON’T disregard posting times, try experimenting with different times and use analytics to determine the best posting time for your brand.
When using visuals DO:
- Use consistent themes to increase your brand recognition as users browse their feeds.
- Make visually compelling images. Instagram offers great tools like Boomerang and Hyperlapse to add a little extra to your visual posts.
- DON’T use low quality images. Instagram is an image platform that relies on interesting and crisp photographs.
When making captions on Instagram DO:
- Basic research to determine the popular and most effective hashtags to ensure engagement.
- Ask questions to draw users into your post and entice them to click on your content.
- Comment and like other posts to show your own engagement.
- DON’T be overzealous with your hashtags, we recommend 10 hashtags in the post caption and if you need to add more then include them in a comment below.
When planning your strategy for using Instagram DO:
- Measure your success with monthly, quarterly, and annual goals e.g. average number of likes per post or number of followers.
- Research your target audience to understand their habits and preferences for your future campaigns.
- Use a tool such as Hootsuite or SproutSocial to schedule posts, save time, and track metrics.
- DON’T get discouraged if your post takes time to grow in popularity. Making an account and subsequently a plan is better for your brand than nothing at all!
As long as you follow these initial guidelines you will be on your way to a consistent and growing social media presence for your brand on Instagram. Take a look at the helpful infographic we have provided below and if you need to see what to do on Facebook and Twitter we have you covered there too. Need more help? That’s perfectly fine! Reach out to us at email@example.com to learn more about social media and its benefits.